Soon to open: Establishment, formerly Blue 32. Could be as early as December 27, or possibly January 11. Mike, Wealthy, and the gang will return. You miss those beaded drapes and so do I. Unfortunate closing in Hermosa: Amigos Tacos, on14th St., one fewer joints open after 2 a.m.
Celebrity sightings: MemphisGrizzlies NBA player Marc Gasol spent some of his new, $58 million contract on Pier Ave. Way to shop small business! Also, ESPN’s Rick Reilly made a pit stop at Granny’s Grocery. Saturday afternoonHermosa Beach was flooded with Santa Claus participants as the infamous SantaCon LA 2011 rolled through.
6 Places open after 2 a.m. to Fuel Your Drunk Munchies
1. Paisanos Pizza Pasta, Hermosa Beach — All the usual toppings plus Baked Ziti, White Chicken, Eggplant, and Sicilian served by Armando. I like the pastrami pizza using mustard instead of pizza sauce. It’s like a sandwich trying to be a pizza, but it works.
2. Subway, Hermosa Beach — Favorites late at night are the “hot” sandwiches such as chicken bacon ranch, meatball, and buffalo chicken served by Nelly and Jessica.
3. Pita Pit, Hermosa Beach — This is your healthiest food choice for the evening. Add double spinach to any kind of pita, falafel, if you’re like me. It’s safe to say you may even feel proud of yourself after this midnight snack, or Pam can serve you cookies if you do wanna feel guilty.
4. Pedone’s Pizza, Hermosa Beach – Juan offers a limited menu after midnight. Pizza by the slice. Topping choices are: cheese, pepperoni, mushroom sausage. All appetizers and salads are available too.
5. Big Mike’s Philly Steaks, Subs, Hermosa Beach — Limited menu of about three choices for late night noshing from Annabel.
6. The Kettle, Manhattan Beach — Open 24 hours. Awesome honey bran muffin. Awesome butter. Awesome everything.
Hangover help: Ashley’s Deli’s Kristine recommends their Hot Breakfast Sandwich called the “Stubbie,” which has egg, black forest ham, bacon and melted American cheese. WARNING: Do not call this by any other name when ordering.
December Nightlife Tip: Be wary of super hot chicks (hustlers) who seem too good to be true. Recall that allegedManhattan Beach female con-artist? Do not leave “new friends” alone in your bedroom. I’ve heard of chicks trying to steal from my guy friends, look in their closets, etc. Keep an eye on your one-night stands. Don’t be THAT guy. And ladies, don’t be THAT girl, either.
Bartender of the Week: Eva at Watermans inHermosa Beach. Expert shot maker with an endless list of new things to try. Such as: bubble gum shot, eggnog shot, hot buttered rum shot, even Tanteo cocoa-infused tequila shot. Her smile and other assets attract an international following that returns annually. Not known for her height, just look for the rhinestone-encrusted beer opener.
Send suggestions for Bartender of the week and your favorite breakfast spots, and future topics to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @AnnaNightlife. Fan my facebook page “Anna Cox – The Nightlife.” ER
California beach hotels with discount rates and packages or call 1-800-632-1698
California attractions and discount online attraction tickets or call 1-800-632-1698
California’s best beach videos on YouTube.com
SoCal Beaches Magazine
“Covering the Beaches of San Diego and Southern California”